 Robotics / 6218
Re: Not that you care...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:41:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (John A. deVries II) writes:
[...] In particular,  I've got this suspicion that mapping
needs a new paradigm, one that -expects- the map to change (you've moved
the furniture, dropped a book, someone blew up the mountain <grin>, etc.)
If anyone can direct me to some fresh ideas, I'd be most interested.

This isn't exactly the type of adaptive mapping you're talking
about, but it will give you an idea of the complexity of the task. Go
to:

  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~minerva/tech/index.html

and read the sections on "occupancy maps" and "localization".

Somewhat along those lines & realizing that the amount of memory in the RCX
is quite limited,  is there some way to create "persistent objects" (well,
even storing a couple variables would be interesting) using the standard
firmware/Spirit? [...] I presume that legOS or
hforth or Jini/MindStorms or any of the other firmware-replacements can do
such a thing: after all, the firmware itself is persistent.

Right. No persistent variables with the standard firmware, but you can do
anything you want in LegOS or the others.

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13