 Robotics / 6146
RE: USB->serial adapter for IR-tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 05:33:46 GMT

Subject: USB->serial adapter for IR-tower

Has anyone here tried using a USB->serial adapter for the IR-tower? I´m
curious about this, since I have had bad experiences trying to expand the
number of COM-ports on my machine (I have two on-board COM-ports,
both used,
now).

Best regards,
David List

I have an Entrega splitter which adds two serials, a parallel, and four
USB's, and it does that kind of stuff just fine.  Very cool.  I've run
Ethernet (10BaseT), my printer, IR, and many other things through it.  The
best part: the fact that it isn't eating up interrupts.  When I needed to
add another card and didn't have a free interrupt, I turned off both serial
ports and the parallel port, and ran all that stuff through just the
Entrega.  Suddenly my interrupt 10, which had been split between 3 or 4
devices, was left completely unused (pretty good trick for a machine with
too many cards!).  I've found that, even though many devices supposedly can
share interrupts, my system is now much more stable when each device has its
own.  (comments?)  And Windows lets me use a trackball and a couple of mice
(one is on the PS/2 port) at the same time now without doing anything
tricky, which my standard ports didn't permit.