 Robotics / 6147
Re: Power steering for 8448
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 04:16:00 GMT

I don't have the 8448 or the RCX for that matter but I
may have a partial solution for you.  I've found that
steering is a perfect application for the Micro Motor
(part # 5119).  The motor is very small but provides a
surprising amount of torque.  It can be connected
directly to an axle turning an eight tooth gear on top
of the steering rack.  The result is a power steering
system that is very small and easy to install, but
with just enough torque and speed to get the job done.
In addition, if you allow the Micro Motor to run too
long and the steering system reaches its' lock point
the motor will just stall -- it doesn't have enough
power to do any damage to the model.

Eric

--- Karen Gold <kjgpinelake@yahoo.com> wrote:
Has anyone used a motor to steer the new 8448?
HOW??

I put the RCX in the trunk as everybody pointed out
you could do.  Then I tore
off most of the body decorative pieces to make room
to put in a motor to steer
the car, so I can use sensors to keep it from
running into walls.  (It goes so
fast I can't let it go for long!)  Last time I tried
a power steering car it
worked fairly well, but I had trouble slowing down
the motor running the rack
and pinion steering so it didn't tear itself apart,
so this time I came up with
an arrangement with a couple of worm gears.....  I
succeeded in slowing it
down, so much that it's useless.  Also late at
night.  Has anybody adapted the
8448 to use the RCX to steer it?  Please, give me
details!!

Thanks, Karen (NOT an engineer or programmer, and it
shows!)
--
Did you check the web site first?:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics