 Robotics / 5986
Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 02:01:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Robert Munafo writes:
If all you want to do is return to the "home base" for a project like the soda
can challenge, all you need for a beacon is a simple blinking light (that
blinks very fast). For example, just drive the axle of the polarity switch
directly off a motor and run a light through the switch so the light blinks
quickly. The quicker the better.

Since the soda can challenge requires the robot to "enter [the] room", that
means the beacon must be part of the robot. The robot would drop the beacon
(that is, break into two pieces and leave part of itself behind) upon
"entering the room". Fortunately the challenge says to "return to the
starting point" and doesn't require "leaving the room in one piece".

If the beacon blinks fast enough, your robot can scan for the beacon while
it's rotating. Stop rotating when the pulse brightness (measured via the
decayed average technique I described) is highest.  Then move forward a bit,
and scan again for mid-course correction.

How does the robot know if it has reached the destination, or if it has run
into the emitter even? By a sudden change in the direction of the beacon?

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang