 Robotics / 5883
5882  |  5884
Subject:
A RCX 'Beacon'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:49:25 GMT

Well, I'm not an expert when it comes to small electronics and making them,
so I thought I would post this question to this list.

After working with the RCX for nearly a year now, I've found a tool/sensor
that I would really like to have, but no idea how I could implement it.

Basically, it works like this.  It would involve a home-brew sensor and a
home-brew module.  The sensor would attach to the input port on the RCX.
The module can be placed anywhere and emits a pulse/beep/signal.  The sensor
on the RCX can pick up that pulse/beep/signal and be able to tell the
general direction it is coming from.  It would send a number from 0 - 360 to
the RCX to tell it in degrees what direction it is coming from and then
through programming in the RCX, it could adjust it's direction to go towards
that signal.

I know there could be factors like signal bouncing off of walls and giving
wrong impressions as to direction to the RCX and such....  but is something
like this possible?  Or is there currently any method that someone is using
to always navigate to a certain point/area?  Any help would be appreciated!