 Robotics / 6039
Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 00:33:09 GMT

Thank you for the pointer Joel. I didn't know about it because you didn't
mention it in the original message thread (namely, the thread in which you
originally proposed the challenge). I am adding a message to that thread now so
that future researchers will be able to find it.

In lugnet.robotics, Joel Shafer writes:
Robert Munafo wrote:
[...] Joel's message http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=3968
actually specified just one can [...]

You can find the complete rules here:
http://www.connect.net/joel/Challenge.html

There are three cans to retrieve.

Robert Munafo wrote:
[...] beacons that are pre-placed in the room would probably
violate the conditions of the challenge.
Beacons are illegal however you may use any non-active means to
identify location. Someone suggested painting the floor with an
increasing gradient of darkness.

You had better tell that to Chris Phillips. He's currently thinking of using a
beacon in a future design:

  "(Haven't tried this yet.) My robot will start out holding a
  can-sized homing beacon tower which contains a flasher of a known,
  low frequency. [...] The first thing it does is put the tower down.
  After it retrieves each can, it returns to the tower [...]"
                    - Chris Phillips as quoted on web page
                    - http://www.connect.net/joel/contenders.html

Honestly, it seems to me that Chris' approach is more true to the original
spirit of your challenge than someone who paints the whole floor of the room.
Kind of makes it hard to apply in the real world (No, really honey! Our house
will look great with gradient floors. I read about it in Architectural Digest.
Yeah, that's the ticket. Trust me! 8-)

- Robert Munafo
  LEGO: TC+++(8480) SW++ #+ S-- LS++ Hsp M+ A@ LM++ YB64m IC13