 Robotics / 5430
Re: using nqc for first time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:43:17 GMT

Dave Baum wrote:

Have you tried this with the modem port (instead of the printer port)?  It
shouldn't make a difference, but at this point almost anything is worth
trying.

Voila! Everything seems to work fine on the modem port! I just assumed
it would make no difference. Not only does nqc work, but my RoboLab
software now works also. I wonder why? I always thought that these two
ports were basically the same - I guess there must be differences.

If I recall correctly, you also used the Mindstorms software under VPC.
Was this with the same cables as those used for nqc?

Yeah. these same cables work worked on the printer port under VPC. But
since the communications code for the Mindstorms software had to be
hacked in order to work in VPC, I'm not surprised if there are vast
differences in the way the serial ports are handled in VPC and in MacOS.
I know the Connectix people had to write their own drivers to make the
Mac printers, modems and the Palm Pilot accessible through VPC. Who
knows? But the important thing is everything seems to be working now.
Thanks for all your help!

I was thinking about buying a PCI card to add four serial ports to my
Mac. I can't wait to see what kind of a monkey wrench that throws into
all this :-)

-Kevin