 Robotics / 5404
Re: using nqc for first time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 21:04:10 GMT

But the above scenario always happens. Always fails on the first
download try, succeeds (seeminly) on the second, and then doesn't run
the program properly for some reason. I'm able to repeat this every
time. I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance,

Very strange.  I've heard of some problems with *long* programs failing to
load, but never with something as short as test.nqc.  Try the following
command and e-mail me the results (dbaum@enteract.com)

nqc -d -l -v test.nqc

(this will print a code listing, then download in "verbose" mode).

Hopefully you'll have one run that fails, then a second that works.  I can
then compare the verbose traces to see what the differences are.  I'll
also be able to validate the actualy bytecodes being sent, etc.  If it
comes down to a simple communication reliability problem, there are some
options we can use to increase the backoff times and/or retry counts.

As a work around, you may want to try playing with the near/far settings
for IR.  Try flipping the switch on the IR tower.  To change the RCX's
setting, use

nqc -near
  or
nqc -far

Personally, I have the best results with near mode, but I've heard an
occasional report of the opposite behavior.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com