 Robotics / 4430
Re: new products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:51:20 GMT

Nick Taylor wrote:
Please fill us in on these two characteristics:  directionality of
both the RCX and the remote ...also, what range for reliable control?

The IR transmitter on the remote seems to be pretty powerful.  Direct
line-of-sight range appears to be about forty feet with RCX and remote
pointed at each other.  (I was using some pretty old batteries; I don't
know whether that makes any difference, and conceivably the range might
be a bit farther with fresh batteries.)

At closer quarters, the remote works pretty well even without direct
line-of-sight to the RCX, because of "splash" reflections off walls,
ceiling, etc.  In my office (about 10 feet square), if the RCX is
sitting in a reasonably exposed position, then I can get control with
the remote pointing in pretty much any direction.

Directionality of the remote ("splash" reflections aside) appears to be
fairly comparable to that of a TV remote:  a cone of radius 45 degrees
or so.

Directionality of the RCX is harder to measure, but seems to be pretty
broad.  If the RCX is horizontal at floor level and I'm holding the
remote three or four feet above floor level, then I can reliably control
the RCX out to a range of twenty feet or so no matter which direction
the RCX is facing.