 Robotics / 4431
Re: new products
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:01:56 GMT

Eric Brok wrote:
The remote control can send the message values 1, 2, and 3 to RCX. You can
program the RCX to react accordingly when it receives one of these
messages.
*ONLY* 1, 2 and 3?
This would make sense if you could control three motors with three buttons,
but you'll need two directions AND stop for comfortable control of each
motor.  (or one message to turn motor on/off, second message to switch
direction - very cumbersome).

Well, it does have direct motor control buttons for each of the three
motors.  Bear in mind that this is, after all, a $20 device.  Doubtless
they could have made it a lot fancier and boosted the price.
Personally, I'm happy with mine.  It lets me do the following:

1.  Run and stop any of the five programs.

2.  Directly control all three motor outputs, forward-reverse-stop.
This is handy for physical prototyping, or for controlling a model
directly that's not autonomous.

3.  Test for IR connectivity (the "beep" button).

4.  Send messages 1, 2, or 3.  That may seem a limitation, but I don't
find it limiting.  What that means is:  If you're running an autonomous
robot, you can send it one of three different messages without
interfering with its running program.  How many different actions do you
want to send?  How many can you keep straight in your head while you're
holding the remote?  After all, you can always combine them 1-2, 1-3,
2-3, etc. and program your robot to respond to *sequences* of signals,
if three aren't enough.

All of which seems like a pretty good bargain at $20.  I'm happy with
mine.