 Robotics / 4197
Re: Ultimate Starter Sets / Add-Ons for Mindstorm? Reprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:16:07 GMT

That's a good list.

I too entered the LEGO world with Mindstorms and have been having lots of fun
since Christmas.  I've currently have some pretty heavy desires on getting an
8880 Super Car but I can hardly afford the $200 it takes to do it.  My wife
enjoys that I am really into this new hobby and that she finally purchased
something I really like, but spending a whole lot more money right now is pretty
much out of the budget.

I did purchase several items myself from S@H and Pitsco.
    I actually went with the S@H differentials kit (x2) part number 5229 because
it offers a universal joint and an idler gear too.
    Getting some of the chain links from Pitsco #77937 is a great idea.  Their
kit has over 100 links in it.
    Another item to consider from Pitsco are the electric plates #779886.  These
will be handy if you ever decide to do some of the breadboard sensor electronics
projects found around the internet.
    Adding a micro motor (Pitsco #775119 for $10) is a good idea for low speed
low torque applications like steering.
    If you get into pneumatics I recommend the Search Sub (LEGO #8250)
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=8250-1 as a start because it has the
basic compressor, some tubing, a cylinder, a valve, and the blue air accumulator
tank.  Once you go down that route you will want to add more pneumatic parts
from LEGO or Pitsco.
    I also purchased a polarity switch (LEGO #5120) so that I could make an
automatic compressor station.
    One last recommendation for kits to buy: (LEGO #8735 advanced power pack)
This has one of those newer style 9v motors like Mindstorms but also has a
clutch which can be pretty handy.  The clutch was useful when I made a walker
robot so that I could safely manage trying to lift the robot via drive train
without putting too much load on the motor.  I also found the battery box to be
very handy for prototype work before I mount an RCX unit and write software.
The battery box has a switch on it that allows you to send current to the motor
to test out your assemblies.

I have a question about that TurboCommand car.  I purchased the new motorcycle
#8417 which has one of the new tires like your car.  I was thinking of getting a
second motorcycle (heck with the $10 off at eToys I think it comes out to ~$20)
so that I would have 2 of the new style narrow tires for the front of a vehicle
and 2 of the new style wider ones for the back.  Incidently the motorcycle comes
with a shock, some chain links and one (or was it 2?) of those idler gears.  But
my question is, does the TurboCommand come with any interesting suspension
parts, transmission parts, or other goodies that makes it worth the $60 price
tag?  I dont' much care for the CD.  I just want to add it to the robots
building inventory if I buy it.

  - Steve

Kipling Morris wrote:

Update -
  First off - Thanks to everyone that posted and mailed.  I got precisely
the sort of insightful feedback I was looking for!

Although I plan on getting the Space Shuttle if possible I _had_ to have
some stuff right now!!  So I chose the DACTA route and faxed off an order
today..
Just in case anyone wants to comment/heckle my purchases, I thought I would
share my list:

Differentials x 1
Connectors and Bushings x 1
9 volt angle sensor x 1
Axels and extenders x 1
Large Gears x1
small Gears x2
Hubs and Tires x 1
Large Turntables x2
Blue Beams x1

Total w/ shipping $113

(I would be happy to provide the #s for anyone who might be catalogue
deficient)

Just in case you haven't been following the thread : my previous inventory
was:
RIS
Extremely (lame) creatures
RoboSports
TurboCommand

And I wanted to get "the most bang for my buck" on more gears and other
articulation stuff.

Still looking for feedback like:
  "You totally _must_ get such and such, it has these extremely neat pieces"

Thanks again!!

Kipling