 Robotics / 2879
  Voltage generator

I discovered something that I can see no use for but maybe someone else can. If you connect the two power wires together from two motors and spin one motor, the other motor spins! The first is obviously generating DC voltage in proportion to speed. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

(...) Hurrah. You've discovered the dynamo :-) No, seriously, there is one possible application: speed sensor. But I expect the "offical" rotation sensor is probably better for that in nearly all cases? On the other hand, the motor is (sometimes) (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

Bill, Interesting you should mention that. I've been toying with the idea of making a anenometer (wind speed tester) from a motor, but haven't over come the idea of how to calibrate it. You'd need to place a resistor in line to help avoid damage to (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

(...) I believe the word is anemometer... it's really just a form of pressure gage. Were you just thinking of attaching a windmill to the motor to produce current? I've seen various ideas postulated on this list for pressure gages (or at least (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.99012....uen.org>, jeff <jeff@uen.org> writes (...) Wait for a calm day and mount it 3 ft above a car, or on the front of a bike with a speedometer. Make several runs in opposite directions at constant speed and take the (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

You are correct I did mean "Anemometer" - I'd love to call that misspelling a typo but I realise I did it twice today *sigh* - I do know the correct way anyway :) I was thinking of the windmill/current concept - though am open to better suggestions. (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

jeff wrote in message ... (...) Jeff can you send me information on the video transmitter. I would love to talk to you about it. If you have any links you might post them here too. Thanks LINC (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

(...) Ooo ... I want to know about that, too. And the packet radio stuff. Cheers, Ben. -- (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

(...) I figure it would take quite a gale to turn over the gear motor with any degree of accuracy, but you might be able to rig something with the rotation sensor and a model airplane prop. Daniel "Dan'l" Miller Senior, School of Aeronautics and (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Rover (was Voltage Generator)

List, I just sent the message below to Linc and not to the whole list as it may be marginal on the Topic issue. Ben has asked about it too and others may. So I'm sending this now. I do still talk about Lego in this but further discussion may be too (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

Daniel, Peter Hesketh posted a similar suggestion, and yes the motor may be too firm for the job. I'll play around and do some testing, this week or as I can get time. Then I'll post the results. My goal is to end up with a pure Lego anemometer or (...) (25 years ago, 20-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Rover (was Voltage Generator)

Please add me to that list of e-mails for cameras and audio gadgets. corkycarcanague@hotmail.com (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

It occurs to me that a pure Lego solution could be constructed fron a fibre-optic doodad and a light sensor. Get your mechanisim to rotate the fibre-optic rotator, use one fibre pointing at the light sensor, and bingo! instant anero...wossname. and (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Voltage generator

There is a better way to use the fiber optic doodad as a rotation sensor: just connect it to the RCX on an input configured as a light-sensor and count pulses in electrical resistance. Read more here: (URL) -----Original Message----- (...) (URL) (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Voltage generator

Way to go Simen! I just looked at your web site - Very cool. I can't wait to give this a try. Is there anywhere on your site where you have a code sample to share two sensors on one input? Regards, Dave Ryder. In article (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Voltage generator

(...) I will post more code in a short while, but I am editing those web-pages on a different computer than i keep my NQC programs so that needs a bit of coordination. But I can outline the basics right away (i have no reference right here so bear (...) (25 years ago, 21-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Voltage generator

(...) It fascinated me how accurately the driven motor mimics the dynamo. Anyway, I've used the idea to make a puppet "Furby" - you can see it on my Mindstorms page: (URL) Derek (25 years ago, 11-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics)