 Robotics / 2800
Re: Alternative Mindstorm Robotwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:00:52 GMT

Mark Tarrabain wrote:
1. IEEE Micro-mouse equivalent
- by placing the bot at the center of a maze, bot that is able to
navigate out the maze in the shortest time will be the winner.

Hrm... you know, this would probably come down to whose robot actually
moves the fastest.  A live mouse, at least, can navagate the maze by
smell (not to say that it always does, mind you), and since smell
travels around corners, the mouse can (some of the time) avoid
travelling down dead-end blind-alleys.

I disagree.  Pure speed has the problem that it can end up repeating
trips down dead-ends.  A slower, but mapping, bot would have no
repeats, and could win.

6. Stair-climber Bot
- Bot that can climb up a flight of stairs in the shortest time wins.

I've been mulling over the idea of a stair climber myself as of late...
but haven't quite got the details worked out yet.   Doug's Tri-Wheel ATV
at http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson/  is neat, but to get one that is
large enough to climb real, 8"-riser stairs just doesn't seem viable.

If you stipulate in the rules that the bot must touch each step, or some
such, it will be more interesting, since it make the problem less of a
pure 'get to the top' goal.

7. Shepherd Bot
- Team of bots that can herd a mice into a pan in the shortest time
wins. (This is the ultimating challenge for utilising IR
communications
and collaborating with each other bot.)

No.  I don't think this one is a good idea.  Although the premise is
sound, I would advise using something inanimate rather than a live
mouse.  (perhaps a wind-up cat-toy, or motorized mouse, or perhaps even
a customized LEGO 'bot).  We wouldn't want a real mouse inadvertently
getting smooshed by a careless 'bot.

More importantly, mice can climb over the shepherd.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |