 Robotics / 2795
Re: Alternative Mindstorm Robotwars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:34:34 GMT

"Kin W. Lau" wrote:

After being involved in numerous Mindstorm Robotwars discussions and
received feedback/enquiries,
I came up to a few ideas. Besides the Gladiator-Robotwars type of
knock-out competition that aims to disable opponents, there are a few
more "intellectual" type of competitions can be deployed for
Mindstorms
Robotwars, i.e.:

1. IEEE Micro-mouse equivalent
- by placing the bot at the center of a maze, bot that is able to
navigate out the maze in the shortest time will be the winner.

Hrm... you know, this would probably come down to whose robot actually
moves the fastest.  A live mouse, at least, can navagate the maze by
smell (not to say that it always does, mind you), and since smell
travels around corners, the mouse can (some of the time) avoid
travelling down dead-end blind-alleys.

2. Wrestling Bot
- A circle drawn around two bots, the bot that is able to push the
opponent out of the circle wins.

Ah... back to the violent approach, huh?  :)  Still a good idea
though...  one-on one combat.

3. Ball-Picker Bot
- A number of marbles/balls are scattered in an open area, bot that
can
collect/push the most balls back to a base is the winner.

For some reason this makes me think of an easter-egg hunt.

4. Radar Bot
- Bot that can safely and swiftly navigate thru an obstacle course
utilising a radar-probe wins.

I like this one!  It'd be interesting to see how a bot handles a ramp
with no safe way back down as an obstacle.

5. Muscle Bot
- Single RCX bot that is able to pull the most weigh for a defined
distance wins.

Within a given time-limit, that'd just be whoever used the most motors
to supply torque.

6. Stair-climber Bot
- Bot that can climb up a flight of stairs in the shortest time wins.

I've been mulling over the idea of a stair climber myself as of late...
but haven't quite got the details worked out yet.   Doug's Tri-Wheel ATV
at http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson/  is neat, but to get one that is
large enough to climb real, 8"-riser stairs just doesn't seem viable.

7. Shepherd Bot
- Team of bots that can herd a mice into a pan in the shortest time
wins. (This is the ultimating challenge for utilising IR
communications
and collaborating with each other bot.)

No.  I don't think this one is a good idea.  Although the premise is
sound, I would advise using something inanimate rather than a live
mouse.  (perhaps a wind-up cat-toy, or motorized mouse, or perhaps even
a customized LEGO 'bot).  We wouldn't want a real mouse inadvertently
getting smooshed by a careless 'bot.

All these are merely my thoughts, suggestions and comments are
welcomed
of course. Thank you.

I think that they are really neat ideas!  Most are an interesting twist
on the violent theme that was introduced when the robotwars were
announced.

Mark