 Robotics / 2664
Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:50:10 GMT

Looks pretty cool.  But how do you figger that, using the Mindstorms RCX,
one would be able to drive 4 or more motors as mentioned in the heavyweight
and freeweight categories?  While you can surely drive two or more motors
off any one of the three ports, I can't see how that could be particularly
useful in a robot. What can you do with two motors that run identically that
you can't do with just one motor and a few gears?  (Perhaps I'm just
shortsighted... if somebody could give me an example of where it is
advantageous to run two separate motors off one control port, I'd be
interested in knowing what it is.)

No using the IR port to shut down opponents, huh?  Rats.  :)

On another track, am I mistaken in my interpretation of the categories, or
do none of the weight categories allow the incorporation of
non-Mindstorms/RoboSports components?  I do not believe that is a good
idea.  I would suggest that you instead divide the weight categories by
direct mass alone.  Since the limitation of only using real LEGO components
is already clearly laid out in rule #1, allowing people the flexibility of
doing whatever they want within a given mass frame will probably be more
likely to produce a greater variety in the appearance and functionality of
the entrants.

Mark