 Robotics / 2657
Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:14:09 GMT

David Chen <nospam-dcchen@pacbell.net-nospam> writes:

A group is beginning a Robotwars style competition w/ Mindstorm Lego
Robots called: "Lego Mindstorms Robot Arena".

Though I have to admit that the basic goals of this competition are
rather gory, "...autonomous robotic combat...to create as violent a combat
as possible without doing actual physical damage to the individual Lego
pieces, motors, or the RCX."

I guess fire blowing and acid spitting are out.  :)

It's cool that rubber bands can be used as ammo!...Because even though a
rubber band doesn't pack a wallop, I'll bet it can really mess up an
opponent's delicate gearing and arm movements if lobbed properly.

But applealing none the less.

Unfortunately, the competition will be taking place in San Jose during
the Game Developer's Conference March 15-19 1999.  Rather far from Southern
California.

Would anyone else be interested in organizing a similar competition here
in So-Cal?  I can't imagine that there wouldn't be an audience down here for
something like that.

E-mail me or continue discussion on this group and we'll see if
something comes of it. I'm not thinking anything big or fancy or corporate.
Informal tet-a-tet's in a round
robin manner may be fun/stimulating.

BTW, the URL of the San Jose Competition is:
http://www.azimuthmedia.com/RobotArena/

They have posted Rules that seem pretty reasonable as a starting point.
Though I think allowing the use of the IR Port would be interesting...

David, Nate, etc.:

This sounds wicked cool -- a 1st-annual competition that will be around for
years.

Do you have a discussions area?  If not, and you'd like to, drop me a line;
it's very easy to create a dedicated Robot Arena newsgroup on LUGNET for
holding focused discussions (you get a mailing-list gateway to the newsgroup
and a web interface too).

--Todd