 Robotics / 2687
Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:43:40 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Nate Burgess wrote:

Sorry if the rules were a bit unclearly worded on the weight issue.
I hope I've cleared it up a bit with version .15 of the rules.
The intention was not to limit the set of pieces that are used, but
to limit the total weight of the robot. So where it says that the max
weight of a division (e.g. Middleweight) is 1 Mindstorms basic set and
1 RoboSports set, it means that the weight of an entry must be less or
equal to the total weight of the parts in (1 Mindstorms basic + 1 RoboSports),
!!Without the weight of the box/packaging/manuals/CD/etc!!

It sounds like the web page states that the lightweight division might be
limited to the parts in the Mindstorms set. I think this is a cool idea --
see how many competitors fair when they have only the same stuff to use.
That way more emphasis is put on good designs and not who happens to have
the cool parts.

Of course, I don't advocate limiting everyone's possibilities, I just
think that limiting everyone to the same parts for one category would be
cool.

Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeff/