 Robotics / 2695
Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:57:11 GMT

Paul Speed wrote:

Well,
        I agree with number two, but as likely many will point out
number would probably be disruptive to other 'bots trying to do the

...err... number _one_ would probably be disruptive...

I should proof read better.

same thing.

        -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com)

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

You know, I really believe that disallowing IR is a bad idea.

Although I would agree that using the IR to shut down or disable opponents is a Bad
Thing(tm), and should result in disqualification, IR usage that can be justifiably
used in a non-offensive manner should really be allowed.

I can think of two examples right off the top of my head where this could be used:

1) Using IR to function as sonar.
2) In the Freeweight category, where there is no (current) limit on what can be put
into a robot, 2 RCX's could theoretically be used in a single robot.  They should
be allowed to use IR to communicate.