 Robotics / 2824
Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:26:30 GMT

Nate, I'm glad you posted your competition rules.  I hope others do as
well.

I know several people here in Calgary who have Mindstorms and want to
reach many more.  It would be great fun to start having competitions
every so often.

I'd like to use other peoples rules for those competitions or ones
slightly different.

Onto  your rules...

I don't think there is anything wrong with the concept of Lego Robot
Wars.  As long as everyone is sportsman like, fair and good natured
these should be a great deal of fun.

Lego Sport competitions like a soccer contest are just war of a
different nature.  :-)

How about pinning down an opponent for a given time period rule?  If
there is no escape within 10 seconds that counts, if escapes doesn't.

Finding the other robot is part of the challenge.  But wouldn't the
matches be far more interesting if robots could find each other
easier.  I was thinking about a light source centered on the top of
each robot at a specified height visible from all directions.

Then robots would be able to use the light sensor to scan for the
other, attack it where its at, launch projectiles in that direction,
etc...

Have you considered a point system over a straight win/loss scenario?
Perhaps with a time limit.  Highest score wins.
Points could be awarded for:
- projectile hits
- flipping opponent
- pushing opponent from ring
- pinning opponent down
- etc...

You might subtract points if opponent:
- escapes the pin
- is able to flip itself back over or continue operation
- etc...

Thoughts?

<ICS>