 Robotics / 2656
  Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

A group is beginning a Robotwars style competition w/ Mindstorm Lego Robots called: "Lego Mindstorms Robot Arena". Though I have to admit that the basic goals of this competition are rather gory, "...autonomous robotic combat...to create as violent (...) (25 years ago, 11-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) I guess fire blowing and acid spitting are out. :) It's cool that rubber bands can be used as ammo!...Because even though a rubber band doesn't pack a wallop, I'll bet it can really mess up an opponent's delicate gearing and arm movements if (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

Looks pretty cool. But how do you figger that, using the Mindstorms RCX, one would be able to drive 4 or more motors as mentioned in the heavyweight and freeweight categories? While you can surely drive two or more motors off any one of the three (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) I believe that if you use more motors driving the same wheel, you will obtain more torque/speed/acceler...ion/power. I liked the idea of divisions based on number of Motors and Max Absolute Weight instead of based on set usage. It would be too (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) I'm not too sure about creating any motor limitation at all. Since motors are usually pretty heavy objects (for LEGO), as a person incorporates more of them, they would be forced to make comprimises in other areas of the robot. I'm not too (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

Sorry if the rules were a bit unclearly worded on the weight issue. I hope I've cleared it up a bit with version .15 of the rules. The intention was not to limit the set of pieces that are used, but to limit the total weight of the robot. So where (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) I would be interested to organise a similar event in the UK, given there is enough support and demand for it. Please Email me if you are interested. Thanks. -- Kin W. Lau Digital Communications And Signal Processing Group, Electrical (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) It sounds like the web page states that the lightweight division might be limited to the parts in the Mindstorms set. I think this is a cool idea -- see how many competitors fair when they have only the same stuff to use. That way more (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

You know, I really believe that disallowing IR is a bad idea. Although I would agree that using the IR to shut down or disable opponents is a Bad Thing(tm), and should result in disqualification, IR usage that can be justifiably used in a (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

Well, I agree with number two, but as likely many will point out number would probably be disruptive to other 'bots trying to do the same thing. -Paul (pspeed@augustschell.com) (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) ...err... number _one_ would probably be disruptive... I should proof read better. (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

This raised an interesting thought in my head. Suppose you allow teams of robots to compete, Communication would be essential for both teams, so how would you filter out hostile messages from you own? The easiest way would be to force the teams to (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

What may be the most logical thing to do is simply simulate serial communication between units. That is, send a stream of bytes, one after the other, to the other unit. Of course, for each byte received, the receiver should send an acknowledgment, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

(...) I know the figures are just a suggested starting point, but I think the volume should be a total in cubic inches. For example: the Light class above would be 6"x6"x6"=216 cubic inches. This would off contestants the option to built large & (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

Nate, I'm glad you posted your competition rules. I hope others do as well. I know several people here in Calgary who have Mindstorms and want to reach many more. It would be great fun to start having competitions every so often. I'd like to use (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorm Robotwars style competition in Southern California/Los Angesles area?

I chose the volume model because of it's ease of execution. Just get a box of the desired dimensions, pop the robot in the box, if it fits, OK, if not, bump the robot up to the next division or open/unlimited category. Kinda like the carry-on (...) (25 years ago, 15-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)