 Robotics / 25509
Re: studless construction practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:28:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rohan Beckett wrote:

after my first 4 hour session of building the 8436 truck.. my
fingers were really sore from inserting so many little black
pegs/connectors.

   Wait until you try to take the dang things apart ;-). For studless
disassembly, I find a thin sheet of textured rubber invaluable for gripping the
pins to pull them out (commonly used for opening stubborn jar lids).

   This does point out one nice feature of studless construction - it is much
easier (in fact almost natural) to build structures that can not be simply
"pulled apart" along one axis. Essentially, cross-bracing become natural, and
there's no longer as rigid a need to use a "beam-plate-plate" grid in
construction.
   Another nice feature? Non-right angles become much more natural, although it
would be nice to have a "universal" angular connector, to allow two joints in a
rigid structure to conform to the otherall shape.

I have also noticed that studless kits are extremely bendy/flexible (and
also seem to have a LOT less gears)

   Agreed. Although in some cases, they are amazingly compact and functional
mechanisms. My first true studless model was 8453, and it was an education -
beautifully functional, but a complete re-think of how to build.

--
Brian Davis