 Robotics / 25263
Re: studless construction practice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 01:01:40 GMT

On Jan 16, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Tim Byrne wrote:

I guess I’m a little unclear on the advantage to using studless beams.

One advantage is rectified horizontal/vertical hole placement. To
have an even ratio vertical hole distance using studded beams, you
have to place two plates between each beam. Studless beams do not
have this problem, and also provide a hole where the two plates would
be.

Studless beams provide a smooth surface to slide parts on. If you
need to slide plate gears or turn tables on something, studless beams
are a simple alternative to tons of studless plates, and take up less
space.

I've found designs can be more compact with studless construction.
Once you start working with it, you'll find ways to reduce bulk. This
goes hand in hand with some of the half-width parts also found with
studless kits.

Studless designs are stronger and more rigid. Studded brick are fine
for normal lego structures, but when things start moving and carrying
loads, studless wins hands down.

Studs can get in the way of moving parts - sometimes the collapsed
state of an a device that expands mechanically can lie more flat with
a studless design.

Studless beams are symmetrical. This is more than an aesthetic issue.

I tend to stick to even-numbered stud construction practices when
using studded beams. Studless seems to open up more ways of elegantly
dealing with odd-numbered designs.

There are a number of studless parts that offer angled beams. These
parts offer construction possibilities that would be unwieldy or
impossible with normal studded beams.

- matthew
http://www.stretta.com/~matthew