 Robotics / 25151
Re: GBC and NXT...so bright I gotta wear shades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:19:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
On Thu, January 12, 2006 12:06 pm, Dave Hurley wrote:
I am a GBC/mindstorms guy and I have a few questions for this community:

Dave,

I'm a GBC/Mindstorms guy, also.  And, a MUP to boot.  Maybe I can answer some of
your questions.

1) Have any of the MUP/in-the-know folks tinkered with the NXT to create some
ball contraptions?  If so, can we see them?

From the very beginning we talked about how the NXT can work within a GBC.  We
really haven't had enough time to build anything, but even if we did, they (TLG)
still want everything under wraps.

So, what kind of GBC would YOU build with an NXT?

2) Are we allowed to see any of the MUPs' creations as they are experimenting,
or would that be a no-no?

no-no.

However, I have a suggestion for everyone who wants to buy an NXT.  Start learning
to build without studs.  It's very different.  If you need a motor, use the RC Buggy
motor.  It's about the same size, right?

3) <unanswerable question ommited>? In RCX
programming with NQC, there are a list of hardware limitations that we have to
adhere/program to and I was wondering what they are for the NXT?

...More stuff LEGO has not released, yet.

You know about the MUP, so you know they ARE listening to us.  This may be a good
place to point out that LEGO HAS realized how important all this stuff is to us
(AFOLs).

(I'm not sure if reverse engineering the brick has been underway yet or not...I
know the gurus are promising to take a crack at it)

If I remember correctly, it took about ONE DAY after us MUPs got our NXTs before one
was cracked open and spread over the table.

Even if they give us all the documentation, there's still plenty of stuff we can dig
into.  So, what would YOU like to figure out?

Steve

Steve,
We at HardLUG have been very busy!  I have been working with your nephew on some
of his ideas and he on some of mine.  Others in the group help out with their
respective areas of expertise.  We plan on having at least a few modules ready
for BF06.  (The secret's been out; I knew you were a MUP!)

My module is in dire need of simplification and ultimately will have to be
scaled back.  Currently it entails two, probably three RCX's, three to maybe
twelve optical sensors,  two or three touch sensors, six motors and a lot of
pain!  If I were to implement this monster via NXT vs. RCX, the sensors part may
be simplified a bit, but bluetooth-enabled sensors would significantly ease the
current limitations and probably bypass the bottleneck altogether.  A simple
piconet of BT-capable sensors (an expansion pack?!?) would also open up the
programming possibilities enabled with the ARM7 cpu.  Multiplexing a large
quantity of sensors (6+) is difficult, when addresing the component they
represent is desired.

I would immediately redesign my GBC module to incorporate bluetooth sensors into
an NXT framework.  The large motors wouldn't be a problem, and they have
built-in rpm counting, so I'd get more precise control over things like dumpers,
launchers, and other gizmos that I am trying to do without rpm counting.  My
master's thesis heavily involves bluetooth and wireless sensor networking, so
I'm naturally interested in this area.  In fact, I've been toying with the idea
of involving the NXT somehow into my research work!

I need to be able to (ideally) track every ball that goes through my module and
know where it is most of the time.  I'm not sure how well ball counting can be
done, but I've proven it to be a time-consuming task (still working on it).
Maybe the ultrasonic sensor can be used in this capacity, but it appears to be
too large/cumbersome to do this.

I know the NXT light sensors are supposed to be improved, but how well can balls
be counted/tracked without having to create a very sensitive system that you
have to calibrate every time someone enters a room?  ( I know onw way... RF
modulate the IR above room noise, like remote controls do)

With regards to more simple creations that are easier, more expansion packs or
enhancing the lego factory to include technic parts bags/kits (does it?).  Shop
at home could sell parts kits for the NXT that cost in the $10-40 range.    I
like the gantry cranes, ball counters/sorter, elevators and maybe a simple
walking bot that "hands over" balls to the next module and says something like
"thank-you sir may I have another?"

Dave H.