 Robotics / 25140
Re: GBC and NXT...so bright I gotta wear shades
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:32:11 GMT

On Thu, January 12, 2006 12:06 pm, Dave Hurley wrote:
I am a GBC/mindstorms guy and I have a few questions for this community:

Dave,

I'm a GBC/Mindstorms guy, also.  And, a MUP to boot.  Maybe I can answer some of
your questions.

1) Have any of the MUP/in-the-know folks tinkered with the NXT to create some
ball contraptions?  If so, can we see them?

From the very beginning we talked about how the NXT can work within a GBC.  We
really haven't had enough time to build anything, but even if we did, they (TLG)
still want everything under wraps.

So, what kind of GBC would YOU build with an NXT?

2) Are we allowed to see any of the MUPs' creations as they are experimenting,
or would that be a no-no?

no-no.

However, I have a suggestion for everyone who wants to buy an NXT.  Start learning
to build without studs.  It's very different.  If you need a motor, use the RC Buggy
motor.  It's about the same size, right?

3) <unanswerable question ommited>? In RCX
programming with NQC, there are a list of hardware limitations that we have to
adhere/program to and I was wondering what they are for the NXT?

...More stuff LEGO has not released, yet.

You know about the MUP, so you know they ARE listening to us.  This may be a good
place to point out that LEGO HAS realized how important all this stuff is to us
(AFOLs).

(I'm not sure if reverse engineering the brick has been underway yet or not...I
know the gurus are promising to take a crack at it)

If I remember correctly, it took about ONE DAY after us MUPs got our NXTs before one
was cracked open and spread over the table.

Even if they give us all the documentation, there's still plenty of stuff we can dig
into.  So, what would YOU like to figure out?

Steve