 Robotics / 21714
Re: Please help (Follow up to my earlier post)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:22:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

"Nathan Colyer" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
Rob,
Sorry, no luck from the Robolab RCX list - the user there has been unable
to overcome their USB tower problems.

You wouldn't happen to be using a Toshiba would you?  Their problem was
only occuring on a Toshiba laptop - worked fine on other laptops.

Yes.  That seems to be problematic for more people than just myself.  My
laptop IS a Toshiba.  Its looking like Toshiba laptop's with USB 2.0 are one
of the only computers having problems running the USB tower...

Rob

  Hi Rob,

  I have a Toshiba Laptop with a USB 2.0 and I bought a USB Tower at Bricklink
because my Laptop doesn't have a serial output (I think that they do not make
laptops with it anymore). At my first try my computer didn't lock up, but I
couldn't use the fast firmware download and BrickCC and NQC couldn't transmit
some programs to my RCX (It could transmit some tiny programs, but it gave an
error when I tried to transmit the 9_rotation.nqc example program from brickCC).
  I solved the problem going to the LEGO USB Tower at the control panel,
swithing to the Advanced Tab and setting the Read Timeout (1st Byte) to 300
msec.
  Now, everything seems to work fine. I just would like to understand why this
change fixes my problem?

Hope that this helps,

Ildefonso.