 Robotics / 21608
Re: Please help (XP,RIS 2.0 problem)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:21:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I have installed RIS 2.0 on my new laptop (3 weeks old).  I have also
installed Bricxcc.  I have not installed the Mindstorms SDK 2.0.  I have 3
built in USB 2.0 ports (which also run 1.1 USB devices, duh)...  Anyway,
when I start Mindstorms, I get to one point (where the program tells the USB
tower to find the RCX) and my computer locks up.  Can't do ANYTHING.  Same
problem happens with Bricxcc.

I would open the Lego tower control panel applet and see what it has to say
about your tower.  Also, I would try using NQC directly to see if it behaves any
differently with respect to the USB tower.  It sounds like a software problem
with the tower drivers, but it is hard to say for sure.  My XP laptop (USB 1.1)
and XP desktop (same) don't have any problems with the USB tower.  Do you have
any hardware-specific software installed and running (i.e., utilities of any
sort that come pre-installed by the manufacturer)?

John Hansen