 Robotics / 21395
RE: Mechanical pneumatic piston
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:29:00 GMT

At 10:01 AM 10/10/2003, you wrote:
That would be true if it weren't for the axle hole.  If you did as you
suggest, each worm would start at a different point in relation to the axle.

  -- Russ

Hmm...yes, now I see. Unless you owned sequential worms, it wouldn't fit.

Thanks for clarifying. Now I see what Steve was driving at.

~Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Mike Thorn
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 6:38 AM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Mechanical pneumatic piston

Steve Baker articulated the following piece of wisdom in his post at 12:24
AM 10/10/2003:

The end of the helix on one worm gear lines up exactly with the start
of the helix on a second worm gear.  If the gears were a quarter stud
longer, they wouldn't have this useful property unless Lego also changed
the pitch of the helix.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It seems to me that if you made these worms
from one great long string, all you need to do is cut them wherever you
want a new one. The helii (is that a word?) would still line up. I don't
see why they couldn't just "cut them" an unth longer.

~Mike