 Robotics / 2102
Re: more Mindstorms FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:50:43 GMT

Kerry Garrison <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Here is an outline I have been working on for a mindStorms FAQ. If you have
any additions, comments, suggestions, or answers to any of the questions,
please forward them to me and I will put it all together.

Just for comparison, here is the rough outline that was discussed a long
time ago but that nobody followed through on:

   I.   Building
           A. Bodies
           B. Legs
           C. Wheels
           D. Arms
           E. Bumpers
           F. Etc.
   II.  Programming
           A. General Programming Concepts
           B. Programming with Mindstorms
           C. Programming with Robolab
           D. Programming with Spirit.ocx/Bytecodes
           E. Programming with H8 assembly
   III. Hardware
           A. Robot Controllers
                   1. RCX
                   2. Cybermaster
                   3. STAMP
                   4. Etc.
           B. Sensors
                   1. Touch
                   2. Light
                   3. Rotation
                   4. Custom sensors
                   5. Etc.
           C. Motors
                   1. 5225
                   2. Older motors
                   3. Custom motors
                   4. Etc.
   IV.  Internals
           A. RCX
                   1. Firmware code
                   2. ROM code
           B. Cybermaster
                   1. Firmware code
                   2. ROM code

The main differences seem to be:

  - New outline adds an About section
  - New outline adds a Resources section
  - New outline does not organize sections into subsections
  - New outline does combines advanced topics into one category
  - New outline actually has questions to be answered... hooray!

I like the new outline.

My only comment is that, if there aren't many questions to be answered,
breaking sections into subsections does not make a whole lot of sense, but
if the FAQ grows, I'd hope the maintainer would split sections into logical
subsections.

-Kekoa