 Robotics / 2107
Re: more Mindstorms FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:30:42 GMT

kekoa@pixel.Stanford.EDU (Kekoa Proudfoot) writes:

Kerry Garrison <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Here is an outline I have been working on for a mindStorms FAQ. If you have
any additions, comments, suggestions, or answers to any of the questions,
please forward them to me and I will put it all together.

Just for comparison, here is the rough outline that was discussed a long
time ago but that nobody followed through on:   [...]

Anyone interested in collaborating on a Mindstorms FAQ (or any LEGO-oriented
FAQ) may want to get in touch with Jeff Thompson <jthompson@teubner.com> and
Jim Baker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org>, who, among others, are beginning to
organize a new, all-encompassing online LEGO FAQ to replace the old RTL FAQ.

Ideally, I think there ought to be a coherent and organized system to avoid
duplication of effort and to enable re-use and easier maintenance.

One thing I'd like to see in particular is a way for any Q&A-pair to be
re-used across any number of related newsgroups (via an explicit list or a
wildcard specification) with a single maintenance-point.  For example, a
question about LEGO product support might be relevant in just about any
LEGO-related newsgroup; a general question about programming tools may be
applicable in both a LEGO-robotics newsgroup and a LEGO-CAD newsgroup; and a
question about robotic arm mechanics may be relevant in both a LEGO-robotics
newsgroup and a general LEGO-building newsgroup.

In terms of a forum for collaboration, a special focused newsgroup
(lugnet.faq) could easily be created for the undertaking and would
automatically have news-by-mail access and archiving.

--Todd