 Robotics / 20125
  RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

Ok, I haven't been around for a little while and I haven't seen any news at all about this, so I'm going to ask my fellow members: What's happening to the RIS?? The last update, 2.0, was not even close to being an update, all there was was some (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) Not a whole lot. (...) No - I think you pretty much nailed it. They needed a new USB tower because increasing number of PC's don't have serial ports. I'm beginning to believe that they only did that in order to sell off their inventory of (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

The only bona fide piece of information I have is the recollection of an off-hand comment made by one of the TLC staff who was at BrickFest last summer who said that if the Spybotics line did not make money, then the future for the Mindstorms line (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

I guess we'll just have to wait on you to get that project you mentioned some time back finished. I recall you were going to design the "perfect" RCX clone. Is that project still in progress? -Rob "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) That's pretty depressing - if Spybotics don't make money, Mindstorms is doomed - and if Spybotics does make money Mindstorms *is* Spybotics...so we're still doomed. (...) What I wanted to see happen would have solved that problem quite neatly. (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) *BUT*... If we could build our own RCX, what's stopping us from building our own motors? "doom"...what a depressing application of the word... ~Mike (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

(...) No - enough people convinced me that the interconnect and addressing issues of I2C would be a problem that I decided not to do it. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com> HomePage : (URL) (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes: [...] (...) I'm certainly getting the backhoe with nine penumatic cylinders available later this year. (URL) out the Technic is not dead! thread (URL) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?

I see no reason why TLC couldn't just continue to manufacture RIS 2.0. Why continue with R&D to develop 3.0 if 2.0 is more than adequate to stimulate young minds into considering a career in engineering? 3 sensor inputs and 3 motor outputs are more (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?