 Robotics / 20146
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:20:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
The only bona fide piece of information I have is the recollection of an
off-hand comment made by one of the TLC staff who was at BrickFest last
summer who said that if the Spybotics line did not make money, then the
future for the Mindstorms line was in jeopardy.

I was thinking that if TLC links these two devices closely....well let's say
I think that while they share simular characteristics they are really very
different. I would hope that the fate of Mindstorms and Sybotics lay on
different roads.

My concern that the Spybotics line was not very "playable" seems in part to
be true based on the number of opened and then returned sets I've managed to
pick up from my local TRU. Quite a few had completed models in them. I
imagine a youngster dutifully putting it together and expecting it'd run
around the floor doing something interesting. My initial experience with the
first one I bought and built was that it didn't do much at all. And if the
product has about 15 minutes from the time the proud new owner installs the
batteries to the time they become enthralled watching it motivate around,
then there will be a lot of un-enthralled kids out there.

I wonder if the true ability of such devices are realized by the "average
user". I wonder what I could do with one. Although I don't own any yet.
Think I'll get a Blue one.

So I am not holding my breath for RIS 3.0. I see less and less evidence that
the necessary support structure is there to support reconfigurable robotics
from TLC. Sensors on closeout sale aren't a good sign. The demise of all
motorized sets using component motors (as opposed to big motor/battery
combination boxes). The loss of connecting wires etc etc. None of this looks
overly positive to me.

I was thinking that if a RIS 3.0 was made, I wonder if we have out grown the
RCX? I know the list of things one could quote or list. But frankly, I have
only seen a couple of hand fulls of Lego Robots that really use the RCX to
its fullest. Dont's get me wrong. I say that statement very carefully.
If one were to look at the range of RCX Creations. I would say it is far
more difficult to make a Robot or device that really uses the RCX to its
fullest,
than it is to simply offer conjecture on expanding the current RCX.
I say let me see the MOCs!

This statement is in now way connected to the statments of John, I just
grabbed a temporary Soap Box.

What am I saying really?

Lego Technic/Mindstorms - represent a powerful aspect of the Lego System.
I would hope and I do believe that TLC in its wisdom, will no doubt continue
to support and expand this dedicated member of the Lego System.

This branch of Lego is on the cutting edge of Toys and hands on building tools.
The technology that the Technic/Mindstorms system represents is a part of
modern day man. Computers, sensors, and mechanical principles are a part of
today and the future that is comming and that we create everyday.

When those people who use Lego through out their childhoods and grow into
adolesence, then into adults, The Lego System grows with them. Offering
different levels of complexity in order to remain a part of the users life.

From a Child with duplo. To.....um "Me" with a big Jama Mecha!

Anyway that's my glimpse of hope that I hang onto.
And perhaps, when a part is created on yonder mountain top of ABS, the
creators know that it may be years until someone utilizes the part in the
light from which it was cast.
:)

I'd say that whatever Technic and Mindstorms parts you currenty have stashed
away are what you are going to be using for a while.

I think that when the Star Wars movies conclude, as well as a couple of
other Market lifespans slow down, we'll see some more new interesting things.

Thank goodness they had
all those Znap sets as a lifetime's supply's worth of motors and RCX's on
big discount a few months back. I knew there was a reason to stock up.

Absolutly! Funny thing is I was so wrapped up building and working on my
Robots, I never saw that RCX half price thing until only recently. I was
like "Where was I!?!" I get into these flops where I don't really buy
anything and I only try to use what I have. Because of this I am soooo
greatful that TLC keeps sets available for a couple of years. Sometimes it
takes me that long to build MOCs for the stuff I have then go out and aquire
the new stuff, then make MOCs for the new tech I come accross.

Then again, some creations are so big and take so long to make, that as I am
building them, I notice Tech that is being released - then I buy it right
away and include it almost realtime into the building process.

JB

oh, those Spybotics sets I bought heavily marked down from TRU after Xmas -
destined to be part of a project too ghastly for most AFOLs to contemplate ;)

What! Uh Oh! Whatcha got brewing!?

Thanks BTW, I kinda got off subject a few times.

http://members.aol.com/mylegomaster/