 Robotics / 19924
  New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

Inspired by vehicles moving precisely along the roads in Miniland, I have created this homebrew sensor, which allows a RCX robot to follow a wire track. Since distance between sensor and wire can exceed 1 cm, the wire may even be hidden below (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

Thats amazing! I'm impressed. When are you going to mass produce for the world market? -Rob "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:H8B9FH.Jvq@lugnet.com... (...) track. (...) be (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

very good application-idea Philippe, and nicely implemented ! Looking at your idea, brings me on another idea. Shouldn't it be possible to build another wire-follower, consisting of just 1 wire, fed by a DC source and a measured with a Hall-sensor? (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) Maybe John Barnes would be interested in doing something with this? One other question - do you have any idea how long can the wire can be with the AC generator you built? Regards ROSCO (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

This is beautiful! I, too, have been inspired by the cars driving around Legoland (though in California and Denmark) but my solution has been to use the light sensor on a visible track. It occures to me that it would be very easy to adapt your (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

Hello Stef, (...) Thanks ;o) (...) That might work, but getting a high enough field to be detected and be immune to external sources (including earth magnetic field!) would require a LARGE current, not very practical... Philo www.philohome.com (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

Hi Rob and Ross, (...) Sorry, I have neither time nor structure to do that... (...) I hope so ! (...) I have not tested that (my longest track is about 5 meters), but as actual current is fairly low I think that wire can be quite long. I used thin (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) Actually the first vehicle I used to test this sensor is a rack-and-pinion steered car, see a short video (Divx3) here: (URL) This is what I did with my SteerBot as well as (...) Documentation is also why I used a standard roverbot to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message news:H8C9HB.6qJ@lugnet.com... (...) the (...) with (...) be (...) Seeing this get me thinking of the lawnmower that my father has. It made by Husqarna (a Swedish company) and it is a fully (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

hi Philippe, (...) Unfortunately, I think you're right :-( But if you never shoot, you won't hit anything. Stef Mientki (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) I've seen similar things on sale in my local branch of Fry's here in the USA. I wish they'd make a vacuum-cleaner that worked on similar principles. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) I don't know what principle it works on, but Brookstones was selling a autonomous robot vacuum cleaner recently. It was in the store I was in before christmas. -Kyle (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) Huh! Well - if only I'd done a web search I'd have known that! (URL) it works, it's not a bad deal at $199. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com> HomePage : (URL) : (4 URLs) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor

(...) Hi Gus, This is a very impressive project. Thanks for sharing the information. I tested your program with a similar bot just to see your program in action. It performed flawlessly. Bob Fay (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)