 Robotics / 19935
Re: New RCX sensor: Wire guidance sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:04:43 GMT

"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message
Hi Rob and Ross,
In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix writes:
Thats amazing!  I'm impressed.  When are you going to mass produce for • the
world market? • Sorry, I have neither time nor structure to do that...
Maybe John Barnes would be interested in doing something with this? • I hope so !
One other question - do you have any idea how long can the wire can be • with
the AC generator you built?
I have not tested that (my longest track is about 5 meters), but as actual
current is fairly low I think that wire can be quite long. I used thin
0.25mm wire (AWG30), for a really long track a thicker one would probably • be
better...

Philo
www.philohome.com

Seeing this get me thinking of the lawnmower that my father has. It made by
Husqarna (a Swedish company) and it is a fully autonomous lawnmower robot.
It has two electric motors, one for left wheel and one for right wheel. And
it have solar panels to charge the battery, and since we here in Norway
(specialy here in Northern part where I live) we have many hours with light
in the summer, the panel is working excelent. We have 1 month with 24hours
daylight  :)
But the other thing is the wire around the lawn; it has a solar driven unit
attached to the wire that is loop layed in the border of the lawn. That
defines the border of where the unit will work. Another thing is that both
units has their own id code, so neither will work if it is out of range (if
someone try to steal only the robot). And the robot will not go over the
wire.

The robot can then be programmed to only work in  programmed timeperiods in
the day or as long as it has power. We always set it to go as long as it has
powers. And it can also be programmed to only stop near the perimeter of the
lawn (near the wire) for charging.
Its pretty amazing to see this creature going arond on the lawn, the result
is excelent too.
And it amazingly quiet. They have built in a beeper that makes a low
pip-sound every 10 second or so, otherwise you would not heare it come if
you lay on the lawn... But you dont need to be afraid that it will take your
toes because it also has a "obstacle avoiding system" that works when it
hits something it stops and turn around and go somewhere else.
There is also a grass height sensor and a moisture sensor that makes the
machine more efficient.
That robot was that triggered my ecitement for Lego Mindstorm and making
robots with the Mindstorm set.

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix