 Robotics / 19520
  which kit 1.5, or 2.0

Hi, I'm new to the list, and to lego robotics for that matter. I am looking to buy one of the kits but would like to be able to use all the linux programming tools available. What are the differences between the 1.5, and 2.0 kits? (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Motor speed

I've just gotten my RIS 2.0, and I've noticed that the two motors appear to operate at slightly different speeds. Is this something that is usual, or am I looking at something that deserves replacement. I can live with the "suck it up" option, it (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

Quoting Brass Tilde <brasstilde@insightbb.com>: (...) Yes. If you are using multiple motors to drive a small robot one way to compensate is with rotation sensors, or use a single motor and a differential to get the robot to drive straight. Or maybe (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) I figgered that was the case. <sigh> (...) At the moment, it doesn't interfere with anything, as I am just starting to build things and am just now building the roverbot and going through the various "challenges". I'll keep those in mind (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) Trying to adjust the power settings probably won't work - not only do the motors vary slightly, but also their performance varies with the battery life. But with Mindstorms there are usually several different ways of overcoming any particular (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) I think in RCX you get 100 levels. We use JCX which gives us 255 levels. Either one should be plenty. Bruce ------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ---...--- Real embedded Java and much more High speed 8051 systems +1-801-534-1017 Salt Lake City, USA (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: which kit 1.5, or 2.0

The sets are fairly similar in terms of pieces and hardware. The major difference is the RIS 2.0 software, which, if you are planning to use the Linux tools, doesn't really matter to you. I say go 1.5 you can find great deals on them currently. Hope (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) may "drift" slowly. But you can block it with the clutch gear, then it needs real some motor force to turn. Jürgen (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: which kit 1.5, or 2.0

(...) There are Linux tools available. NQC (Not Quite C) is very popular amongst serious builders - and it runs nicely under Linux. You can also get into the whole BrickOS thing - which is a replacement OpenSourced operating system that runs on the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: which kit 1.5, or 2.0

(...) Oops! Forgot the second half of your question. There are three RCX varients: RIS 2.0 -- Has a USB-port interface to the IR tower that lets you download programs to the RCX computer. RIS 1.5 -- Same deal - but the IR tower is interfaced via the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) Short answer: Suck it up. Long answer: (URL) Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com> HomePage : (URL) : (4 URLs) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Motor speed

(...) Even if it wasn't the case, robots don't drive straight because of small differences in how you build one side of the robot compared to the other (eg the collars might be squeezed more tightly onto a beam on one motor than on the other)...also (...) (22 years ago, 22-Nov-02, to lugnet.robotics)