 Robotics / 19516
Re: articulation points?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:01:11 GMT

Here I go, tossing my 2 cents in to the fray:

I would say that any differential drive on a flat surface has 3 DOF:

-Assume it drives along the X axis (thats 1)
-it can rotate around the Z axis (2 now)
-once it rotates it can drive along the y axis (3!)

So we have translation on two axes, and rotation around one. 1+2=3.

A Killough platform (which is also a sort of differential drive!) also
has the same three degrees of freedom.

Exactly.

Another way to look at DOF is that it is the number of things that have to
be specified to define a particular configuration of the system.

In other words how many RCX outputs does it take to drive.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you talk about DOF, it is the
"degrees of freedom of some specific thing". So, the DOF of an "effector" on
the end of an arm can be no more than 6 as we're only talking about the
effector. The DOF of the "arm as a whole" may well be more than this however.

Regards