 Robotics / 19505
Re: articulation points?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:14:29 GMT

Jennifer Clark writes:

This reminds me of an argument I've had several times, and to •  >be honest have yet to come to a definitive answer. The
maximum number of degrees of freedom an object can have in
three dimensional space is six; translation in the X, Y, and
Z planes and rotation about in the X, Y, and Z axes. Giving a
device more points of articulation does not necessarily
increase the degrees of freedom, although it can increase the
envelope or ability of the device to, for example, work round corners.

Opinion seems to be divided on the meaning of this term.

In my field (computer graphics), I'd say that each joint
in the mechanism had between zero and six degrees of freedom,
but that the total number of degrees of freedom of a mechanism
could never be more than six.  You could have a mechanism like
a bicycle chain that has hundreds of 1 DOF links - and the
total mechanism would have three degrees of freedom because
it can move in X, Y and one rotation axis.  I think that's
a USEFUL measure of a mechanism.

However, according to the Robotics Research Group at UTA:

  http://www.robotics.utexas.edu/rrg/learn_more/low_ed/dof/

   You add up the number of degrees of freedom of each
   joint (between zero and six) to get the total number
   of degrees of freedom for a mechanism.

...that doesn't seem a useful thing to measure because it
tells you very little about the ability of the mechanism
as a whole.

According to the Internet glossary of Statistical terms:

   http://www.animatedsoftware.com/statglos/sgdegree.htm

    "Statistians use the terms "degrees of freedom" to
     describe the number of values in the final calculation
     of a statistic that are free to vary."

Mathematicians (http://mathworld.wolfram.com) talk about:

   "The number of degrees of freedom in a problem, distribution,
    etc., is the number of parameters which may be independently
    varied."

Those two definitions sound just like the UTA Robotics group
definition.

According to Professor B J Stone at the University of Western
Australia (who is talking about vibrational modes of a system):

    http://www.animatedsoftware.com/statglos/sgdegree.htm

   "A simple definition of "degrees of freedom" is - the number
    of coordinates that it takes to uniquely specify the position
    of a system."

...which fits with my definition.

The Free Online Dictionary of Computing says:

    http://foldoc.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/index.html

  "<robotics> The number of independent parameters required to
   specify the position and orientation of an object. Often used
   to classify robot arms. For example, an arm with six degrees of
   freedom could reach any position close enough and could orient
   it's end effector (grip or tool etc.) at any angle about the
   three perpendicular axes."

I conclude that this term is too vague to argue about!

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net