 Robotics / 17171
Re: "Servo" Driver for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:15:03 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

Several years ago I built a
controller for an N scale train set where I used a pulse width
modulation technique (which is what you're describing) to drive the
engines around. This system works very well, but the frequency must be
fairly high. If you slow the frequency down considerably you get
exactly what you described - jerky on-off motion. I'm somewhat of the
opinion that the NQC doesn't allow you to toggle the power fast enough
to make the motion smooth.

But it doesn't need to.  The 'power' settings built into the RCX firmware
are already using pulse-width modulation to adjust the amount of power
the motor delivers.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net