 Robotics / 17175
Re: "Servo" Driver for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:55:09 GMT

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:3C56E677.33FD9910@airmail.net...

I take it you are really doing on...float...on...float cycles
with your motor instead of using "off", which actually performs
active braking (on/off cycles are almost guaranteed to give serious
mechanical jitters).

Nope, I'm using Off, because I need to brake the motor to pulse it. • Floating
it does almost nothing - the inertia of the motor carries it on just as • if
it wsan't powered. To get a low speed using this method, you must Off
(brake) the motor.

I have to disagree with your approach.  Even at low speeds, alternating
between pushing on the gas and stamping on the brake isn't the way to
drive smoothly.  Perhaps you need to gear the machine differently and
use less power during the ON cycles - but there is no doubt that you
need to work hard to use FLOAT instead of OFF.

I cannot gear it differently - the geartrain is optimized for the correct
speed I must achieve.

Float doesn't work because of the reasons I explained before (motor inertia
etc). I am also using a lower power setting - in the "drive" section of my
driver, it is at full power, during the "deceleration" portion of the
driver, it's using a lower power as well as pulsing the motor.

If I were to use Float, I would have to have a longer cycle in the
deceleratoion portion (perhaps a wait of 4, not 1). This allows the robot to
slew farther beyond the target in that ammount of time - reducing acuracy
and requiring a corrective move afterword. That is not desirable to me.

    Iain