 Robotics / 17212
Re: "Servo" Driver for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:09:55 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

But it doesn't need to.  The 'power' settings built into the RCX firmware
are already using pulse-width modulation to adjust the amount of power
the motor delivers.

Yes, but only one of 8 settings (why not all 256??? I don't understand
why they limited this). Sometimes only 8 settings doesn't give you
enough finesse.

That was explained earlier.  They are using an 8 bit number to store
the *pattern* of the modulation.  With 8 bits, there are only 8 different
ratios of 1's to 0's - and one of those is to have no power at all.  Hence
there are seven power levels.

I suppose they could have used a byte to count the duration of the on period
and the duration of the off period - but for some reason they chose not to
implement it that way.  Without analysing the software in a lot more detail
than I'd care to do, it's hard to know whether that was a good design decision
or a bad one.

Personally, I doubt that you could really tell the difference between power
levels that are just one step apart - so it's probably irrelevent.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net