 Robotics / 17169
Re: "Servo" Driver for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:14:15 GMT

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

I take it you are really doing on...float...on...float cycles
with your motor instead of using "off", which actually performs
active braking (on/off cycles are almost guaranteed to give serious
mechanical jitters).

Nope, I'm using Off, because I need to brake the motor to pulse it. Floating
it does almost nothing - the inertia of the motor carries it on just as if
it wsan't powered. To get a low speed using this method, you must Off
(brake) the motor.

I have to disagree with your approach.  Even at low speeds, alternating
between pushing on the gas and stamping on the brake isn't the way to
drive smoothly.  Perhaps you need to gear the machine differently and
use less power during the ON cycles - but there is no doubt that you
need to work hard to use FLOAT instead of OFF.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net