 Robotics / 17170
Re: Using un`Lego sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:09:22 GMT

Matthias Jetleb wrote:

I have two small rotative (circular) potenciometer (variable resistance)
from some old headphones, that I'm thinking of using as an angle sensor. It
won't measure 360º but it'll be close. I only don't know how accurate will
be (or if it'll even work) and what range of raw values will have.
For what it's worth, there is another type of high-accuracy
potentiometer which is used primarily in instrumentation. They are
usually used with vernier dials to set accurate values. Their
advantage is that, unlike most basic, common potentiometers which have
a full end-to-end range of motion of about 270 degrees, these
instrumentation variants rotate 10 complete times (at least the ones I
have - others may even do more).

The trouble with this (I suppose) is that the precision of the A-to-D
convertor in the RCX is going sharply limit the angular precision
when that number range is 'stretched' over ten revolutions.

I've seen the devices you talk about though - you see them a lot in the
timebase controls of old oscilloscopes.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net