 Robotics / 17191
Re: "Servo" Driver for NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 00:17:57 GMT

"Dick Swan" <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:GqsAv4.GL1@lugnet.com...

This is a long post. It covers the following:

<snip>

Dick, let me first say thank you for the post. I've implemented some of your
suggestions and my robot has gone from unuseable to operating as I had hoped
it would. I may even be able to speed it up a bit, without sacrificing
performance or reliability.

If you replace the loop with the following you should get be able to get
much finer control with a loop that takes about 10.5 msecs to execute. • Loop
should have three instructions only for statments on [3], [4] and [5].
You'll get much shorter pulses -- 3.5 msec on; 7 msec brake.
    [1]    while (true)
    [2]    {
    [3]      ON;
    [4]      BRAKE;
    [5]      if ((rotation Sensor != value)
    [6]        break;
    [7]   }

This has worked wonderfully. Eliminating the wait statements has reduced any
visible jitter in the deceleration portion of my servo task.

Above timings assuming only a single task is executing. If you're running
more than one simultaneous task, then expect even longer delays since
running tasks are scheduled round robin with a "timeslice" of one opcode.

I am running three simultanous servo tasks for controlling axis positioning.
Therefore I can assume my performance would only get better with a reduced
number of pseudo-servo axes.

Thank you again for your very helpful suggestions and answering many
questions I have had for a long time!

    Iain