 Robotics / 1687
  Questions about Differential

Please excuse this ignorant question. I am a software guy that enjoys playing with Mindstorms and robotics. Can someone please point me to some explanations of different ways to use the differential gear that LEGO has? Thanks, Alan G. Smith (...) (26 years ago, 21-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

I've used the differential gear in two related ways: 1) As it is used in a car - to take power from one drive shaft and transmit it to two wheels that may be moving at different speeds - a full-sized car uses the differential to minimize wheel-slip (...) (26 years ago, 21-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

There is a website called Leo's Lego (sorry, I don't have the URL handy, but its easy to search for) that has a device called an adder/subtractor built with two differentials. I've used this to build a robotic base with straight forward/reverse (...) (26 years ago, 21-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) I'll be looking forward to seeing this. Leo's design is amazing. (26 years ago, 21-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

---- This is posted on behalf of Martyn Boogaarts, please direct questions and comments to him at the address below. ---- for the usa of a differential see: (URL) martyn mjr.boogaarts@usa.net ===...=== (...) (26 years ago, 21-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  (long) Rotation Sensor from "Extreme Creatures" Fiber Optics

Several list members have asked for instructions on making a simple rotation sensor using the standard Mindstorms light sensor coupled to the light / fiber optic gizmo that comes in the "Extreme Creatures" add-on set. Here goes: 1) The problem: (...) (26 years ago, 22-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: (long) Rotation Sensor from "Extreme Creatures" Fiber Optics

(...) WOW! Thanks Don for your post. This is one of the reasons I read this board. So many great minds out here. (26 years ago, 22-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

Actually, this thread has got me wondering... Are there any sets that actually have differentials in quantity? Or would I have to buy multiple 5229 sets? (...) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

Well I don't know about sets, but I bought a bunch from lego shop at home. check out the web site for a phone number. Purchase the gears and differential set. Approx. $5. Matt medinfo@aros.net (...) -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 3-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) I don't think that there is anything cheaper then getting multiple 5229 sets. Most sets with the differential (such as the Future Car) only have one of them. The Super Car (not made anymore) had 3 to make 4x4 work, but it was something like (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) The Super Car has 3 or 4 I think, but I have never seen that set in the Lower Mainland (I see we are both in the same area). Dean (URL) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) The 8880 - Super Car set has three differentials. It also has 6 "U" joints and 4 large, crude but very functional CV joints. Other parts of interest include the parts for a 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering system with independent suspension. (A (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

alex wetmore wrote in message ... (...) The Lego Shop at Home service pack is cheaper than the 5229 set. A supper car for $120 is a very good deal... not that you will find them for that since they are out of production. I think your best bet is (...) (25 years ago, 4-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: (long) Rotation Sensor from "Extreme Creatures" Fiber Optics

Why not simply use a small dish with white and black markings (or a cam or whatever) and detect its rotation with the light sensor? Eric (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: (long) Rotation Sensor from "Extreme Creatures" Fiber Optics

(...) Lego used to sell these - I forget exactly which set(s). If I remember correctly they were about 2cm diameter with 45 degree segments alternating black / white, with a standard axle hole in the centre. You could get the same effect with a (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Cybermaster pricing

Have potential trip across the pond to Europe and the UK and was thinking about picking up a Cybermaster while I'm there. Approximately how much should I expect to pay for a Cybermaster kit in either the UK or France? Thanks in advance to my (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) Motorize the 8880? That'll prolly be difficult - I just tried simply sticking a motor on the main drive shaft, and it just won't drive... maybe with _large_ gear train. But it'll never go fast with a lego motor, I think. My next try will (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

Initially I'm trying to shoehorn a new style motor into the existing form. The old motor wouldn't have a chance at driving the model. The new one might do it just fine by driving the "crankshaft". My final model will require redesigning the model (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Questions about Differential

(...) Try using the IR Port as a proximity sensor as has been discussed in this newsgroup. Search for subject: IR Port as Proximity Sensor. One guy put up a website w/ sample Botcode program to do this. Here is a NQC program called IRPing that puts (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)