 Robotics / 1694
Re: Questions about Differential
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:39:59 GMT

There is a website called Leo's Lego (sorry, I don't have the URL handy,
but its easy to search for) that has a device called an adder/subtractor
built with two differentials.  I've used this to build a robotic base
with straight forward/reverse motion.  It works better then the normal
method of having a motor per wheel, because in the motor per wheel system
your robot tends to make large and slow turns due to one motor running
slightly faster then the other.

You can see pictures of my design at http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego.

My father built another design based on the adder/subtractor which I
think is superior in some ways (for one thing it seems more efficent).
I'm current visiting him for the holidays, so when I get a chance
I'll take some pictures of his design and put it on my webpage.

alex