 Robotics / 16615
  accu pack with rcx

hi list! did anyone ever tried to attach an accu pack to the rcx - in addition to the batteries inside the rcx? my idea is to add a 9.6v (8 cells nicd) rc-accu to a robot which should act indepentently for a longer time. i thought about leaving (...) (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

(...) Absolutely. The socket on the back of the RCX (for use with an AC adapter) is labeled for 9 to 12 volts, AC or DC. - Jacob (23 years ago, 30-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

Hello Mathias, (...) I am not sure whether the alkaline batteries will like the external voltage applied to them. If not, your RCX is in immediate danger, because they may explode or leak. Trying to charge the accumulators with the alkaline (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

I just moved from 6 1.2 volt rechargables to a 9.6 volt metal hydride pack that I bought at radio shack. Despite the aweful appearance I am pretty happy. I decided not to cut on the RCX box and just built a cage to hold it to the bottom of the RCX (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Lego Scanning Probe Microscope Instructions

But that's not all! Lego Charge-Coupled Device, Spectrophotometer, Poisson's Lattice and Magnetoresistive Structure!!! Okay so there are a few non-lego pieces involved, sue them... :o) I was searching for lego references in my area and stumbled on (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Lego Scanning Probe Microscope Instructions

Although I don't have any understanding of chemistry, it looks wonderfull !! I like physics more, what about optics: (URL) Mientki (...) (23 years ago, 1-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

(...) Would LEGO let you do that? Probably not. I've had no trouble running the RCX off a 12v DC supply from a transformer, with the batteries in. The RCX has great power supply circuitry. - Jacob (23 years ago, 2-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

(...) Is that an RCX with a power socket? I'd expect the socket to include a disconnect to prevent the external supply being applied to teh internal batteries. However, that isn't the scenario proposed at the start of this thread, which called for (...) (23 years ago, 2-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  VB and the IR tower

I've been trying to figure out how to communicate with the RCX using the IR tower through a VB program. Does anyone out there know how this can be done with Visual Basic. I have a serial tower if that makes a difference. Thanks... (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: accu pack with rcx

(...) If you have an external power jack, some of what I wrote may not be an issue. Greetings Horst (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: VB and the IR tower

hi Ryan, You can do it either through the spirit.ocx or just by sending the bytes to the IR tower. Both methods are quiet straight forward. I used both methods for the serial port in Delphi (which looks a lot like VB) and found that spirit.ocx is (...) (23 years ago, 3-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: VB and the IR tower

You need to import the spirit.ocx file (only comes with the rcx 1.0/1.5 version. If properly imported, you will see a lego logo in the components list. Put this in an application form and select in the lego component the proper pbrick and (...) (23 years ago, 4-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)