 Robotics / 16619
Re: accu pack with rcx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 21:52:36 GMT

I just moved from 6 1.2 volt rechargables to a 9.6 volt metal hydride
pack that I bought at radio shack. Despite the aweful appearance I am
pretty happy. I decided not to cut on the RCX box and just built a cage
to hold it to the bottom of the RCX sans bottom cover. As I said, ugly,
but now the batteries don't get stolen (by me) whenever one of my son's
toys need AAs and I am happier about driving a lot of motors directly
from the RCX.

To connect the battery to the RCX I picked up the first toy lightsaber I
found which was smashed in two and relieved it of it's battery contacts
which I attached to a spare battery connector.  I cut those down and
jammed them between the RCX case and the pos and neg contacts. No
grinding, no messy mods that I might regret until I get a second RCX at
which point I will slice it up immediately.

While it would be nice to not lose leJOS when I charge the battery, it
is not a big deal.

Elijah