 Robotics / 16615
16614  |  16616
Subject:
accu pack with rcx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:04:13 GMT

hi list!

did anyone ever tried to attach an accu pack to the
rcx - in addition to the batteries inside the rcx?

my idea is to add a 9.6v (8 cells nicd) rc-accu to a
robot which should act indepentently for a longer time.
i thought about leaving normal alcaline batteries in the
rcx and wire the accu in parallel with them.
because of the higher voltage of the accu, it would
"run out" faster than the normal batteries, which them-
selves would still grant a basic voltage to avoid memory
loss.

the program could detect the drop of voltage and -
presuming that the accu is empty - driving the robot
to a recharging station.
(pretty though task, i know...)

now some questions:
- is it possible to run the rcx on 9.6v without damage?
- are my "physical thoughts" correct or would the normal
  batteries be consumed as well in operation?
- would it be possible to recharge the accu while connected
  to the rcx and the normal batteries in it?
- according to the spirit ocx docu (pbrick.pdf), measuring
  the battery level is only possible in immediate mode,
  not in a program. is this true and if yes, is there a way
  around this (maybe with legos)?

any thoughts greatly appreciated!
many greetings and happy programming
mat