 Robotics / 16449
Re: Question about RIS version differences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 14:49:35 GMT

Hi all!

I'm a newcomer to the list and the world of Lego Mindstorms so please excuse
any inaccuracies. In late September I was allocated my Honours Project for my
BEng in Electronic and Communications Engineering - To Design and Build an
Ultrasound Sensor for an RCX Robot.

Since begining my research I have become immersed in Mindstorms and yesterday
purchased an RIS 1.5. I chose this over 2.0 as I wanted a serial IR tower.
After reading this thread over the last couple of days I was surprised to see
my RCX had 2.0 written on the side! Software was 1.5 as far as I can tell, and
the firmare is the original (3.0.9???). Anyone got any theories as to whats
going on?

Cheers,
Lee

In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber writes:
lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:

Since the old programming environment didn't know about the USB tower,
and the new programming environment doesn't have to deal with the old
serial port tower,

It has to, if you buy the 2.0 upgrade for a RIS 1.5 .
The software asked for the type of tower, so I suppose
the new software works with the old tower (but not vice-versa).

USB tower:
+ no batteries needed

Serial tower:
+ you can change the baud rate and increase the speed
+ supported under Linux

Jürgen