 Robotics / 16378
Re: Question about RIS version differences
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:41:39 GMT

Caleb Jackson wrote:

Hello everyone,
    I'm sort of new here, at least to this newsgroup.  Can someone sum up
the the differences between the Robotic Invention Systems versions 1.0, 1.5,
and 2.0?  Ignore the parts lists, I already know about those.  What I want
to know is the differences in the hardware interfaces.  (Such as, I think I
heard something about the 2.0 lacking a 9V adapter jack.)

All 1.0's have the 9v external power jack.
Early 1.5's also had the external power jack (mine did!)
Later 1.5's and all 2.0's seen so far do not have an external jack.

Aside from that, the three RCX's appear to be identical.

RIS 1.0 and 1.5 have a serial port interface to the IR Tower
RIS 2.0 uses a USB port instead.

  Also, which version of the 'official' software do you think is best?  I'll
probably be moving to legOS or something similar eventually, but I'm
curious.

I don't know about the programming environment on the PC (I prefer NQC
and LegOS under Linux anyway) - but any set of RCX firmware works with
any of the three RCX versions. The 2.0 firmware is **MUCH** better
than either the 1.0 or 1.5 with many additional features.

Since the old programming environment didn't know about the USB tower,
and the new programming environment doesn't have to deal with the old
serial port tower, I doubt you can mix and match them with IR towers
from the other side of the 1.x/2.x divide - but I don't know
for sure.  Similarly, the new programming environment must need the
new RCX firmware...but I'm fairly sure the old programming environment
will work with both old and new firmware - although it presumably won't
be able to take advantage of any of the newer features in the latter.

Recent versions of NQC work with either set of firmware (although some
features only work with the newer stuff).

I have an Early 1.5 RCX with the 2.0 beta firmware that Lego offered for free
download just before the RIS 2.0 set appeared - and I think that's the
best of all possible worlds.

--
    NOTE: MY HOME PAGE HAS MOVED TO http://www.sjbaker.org - PLEASE
               UPDATE YOUR LINKS AND BOOKMARKS ACCORDINGLY!

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net