 Robotics / 16375
  Question about RIS version differences

Hello everyone, I'm sort of new here, at least to this newsgroup. Can someone sum up the the differences between the Robotic Invention Systems versions 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0? Ignore the parts lists, I already know about those. What I want to know is the (...) (23 years ago, 28-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

There have been three different box labellings: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0. However, the RCXs in boxes labelled 1.5 still said 1.0 on the side. RCXs from RIS 1.5 and 2.0 have no adapter jack. About software: I have 1.0 and 2.0, and i like the 2.0 software much (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) NQC can do a LOT more with the 2.0 firmware than it can with the earlier versions - a quick check of the manual turns up: * arrays, * local variables, * access controls and events, * global motor controls, * sound mute and un-mute, * clearing (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) All 1.0's have the 9v external power jack. Early 1.5's also had the external power jack (mine did!) Later 1.5's and all 2.0's seen so far do not have an external jack. Aside from that, the three RCX's appear to be identical. RIS 1.0 and 1.5 (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) free (...) IMO the best of all possible worlds is 1.0 with the 2.0 firmware, for the simple reason of the 9v adapter plug. BTW, I recently ordered a Team Challenge from DACTA, because I was told its RCX has the adapter plug, and can confirm it (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) It has to, if you buy the 2.0 upgrade for a RIS 1.5 . The software asked for the type of tower, so I suppose the new software works with the old tower (but not vice-versa). USB tower: + no batteries needed Serial tower: + you can change the (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) The best 'official' software is ROBOLAB 2.5. It can do everything that the standard firmware can do, plus it incorporates: * Internet Communication with 'ROBOLAB Server' (included) * Data Graphing and Comparison * Data Analysis (with ROBOLAB (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

There are four aspects to the RIS kit and the RCX brick: 1. Hardware. This is primarily the RCX brick itself. As other posts have pointed out the main difference is that the original RCX 1.0 brick has a power adapter jack, while later versions (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) There's one more piece in RIS 2.0 compared to RIS 1.5, a long and wide fiber optic piece (unlike those in e.g. space shuttle 8480). (...) No, in this respect RIS 2.0 = RIS 1.5. Jürgen (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Question about RIS version differences

(...) That goes with the new USB tower, to allow communications with a Micro Scout. You stick one end in a hole in the USB tower, and the other end into a hole in a Micro Scout. Tilman (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) Are there any other (major) differences in the pieces that come with 1.0 vs 1.5 vs 2.0 vs ROBOLAB? I'm thinking of getting Team Challenge USB and the 1.5 -> 2.0 upgrade kit. Will I miss out on anything with that combination (apart from a (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Thanks for your help!

Thank you! You've all been very helpful. About the towers, am I right in hearing that the serial IR tower _does_ require batteries? If so, how many does it need and about how long do they last? And the RCX 1.0, while it has an AC adapter it does (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Thanks for your help!

(...) It needs one of those 9 volt batteries. It seems to last *forever* - but then I only use it for relatively short and infrequent program downloads. It might last for dramatically shorter times if you spend a lot of time talking back and forth (...) (23 years ago, 30-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

Jurgen, Thanks for the correction on the projects. I was getting confused with the Ultimate Buiders Set. One other thing that is worth pointing out is that both Vision Command and the beta program development SDK (that was on the Lego Web site) both (...) (23 years ago, 31-Oct-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

Hi all! I'm a newcomer to the list and the world of Lego Mindstorms so please excuse any inaccuracies. In late September I was allocated my Honours Project for my BEng in Electronic and Communications Engineering - To Design and Build an Ultrasound (...) (23 years ago, 6-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Question about RIS version differences

(...) You got a new 2.0 RCX, which from a user's point of view is the same as the 1.0 RCX found in earlier RIS 1.5 sets. Jürgen (23 years ago, 7-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)